Friday, July 22, 2011

How I Saved Money on...

How I Saved Money on... Just About Everything!

I'm all about saving money. Couponing isn't just a hobby, it's a way of life! I cringe at the thought of paying full price for anything these days. So I thought I'd share the ways I've been able to save on other things in my life... big & small!

I Saved on Big Things...
  • Mortgage:   A few months ago, when interest rates were at historic lows, I refinanced my mortgage. It saved me over $1000 per year! I didn't have to pay anything up front, and it was extremely simple and easy. Rates are still low--if you're not moving soon, then refi, baby!
  • Car Insurance:   Yes, I saved 15% on my car insurance by switching to Geico (hahaha) but I actually saved a lot more than that! I recently called customer service  to inquire about any additional discounts they could offer me, and found a big discount for being a member of a certain professional organization. It's going to save over $150/year! I only wish I'd found that discount earlier!
  • Home Owners' Insurance:   Did you know Geico also has a Home Owners' Insurance division? Well, they do! And if you bundle these two services together, you get a discount!
  • Car:   The best way to save on a car is to buy it used! With new cars, once you drive off the lot, you've already lost thousands of dollars in value. Comparison shop online to find the best deal!
I Saved on My Vacation...
  • Hotels:   By bidding on a room using priceline.com, I saved over 60% off the listed price!! There are several travel sites out there, but priceline always seems to have the best rates. It can be a little scary since you don't know what you'll end up with and it's non-refundable, but to me it's worth it! I had a great experience on my trip to San Antonio. We stayed at the Crown Plaza for $65/night and the list price was over $115.
  • Activities on vacation:    Before you head out to your destination, do a search for coupons on the company's website! For my trip to San Antonio, I found dozens of coupons for restaurants on the Riverwalk and activities and attractions in the area, like Ripley's Believe It or Not & Six Flags!
  • Parking: Did you know you don't have to park at your hotel and pay the outrageous $25/night fee?? On my vacation, I found a $5/night lot just a couple of blocks away!!
I Saved on Bills...
  • Cell Phone:    First of all, if you're still paying for a land line, stop. Simply by using cell phones only you can save a ton! Also, check if your company offers any discounts on cell service. My husband found a company discount for my cell service plus he gets his for free, so that saves us around $600/year!
  • Cable/Internet:    I save on my cable bill by bundling services together. Time Warner offers a discount for having more than one service and I'm sure all the other companies do, too.  You can also save by simply calling your cable/internet company's customer service and asking them for a discount. Be persistent {but kind} and tell them you are thinking of switching to a competitor or cancelling your service! It worked for me!
  • Lawn Service:    We found a small lawn service company in our and called them up and made them an offer of what we were willing to pay per month. It never hurts to offer a lower price! They accepted our offer and we save over $50/year!
I Saved on Little Things...
  • Boutique Purchases:   Any time you shop in a small store, like a boutique or freestanding store in the aisles of the mall, there is wiggle room on the price. On several occasions, I have been able to get something cheaper by asking them if they would take $X amount for it. Asking with a smile helps :)
  • Eating Out:    If you google for restaurant coupons, or the name of a restaurant and coupons, you can usually find a way to save--either a printable coupon, or a promotion, like "Kids Eat Free on Tuesdays." "Like" your favorite restaurants on facebook for exclusive deals, too!
  • And More Eating Out:     Have you tried Restaurant.com? They offer $25 gift certificates for only $10 (and frequently they go on sale for as low as $2!). Using Restaurant.com is a great way to save! I save 50% or more at my favorite restaurant, Yucatan Taco Stand, using their certificates!
  • Clothing:     I subscribe to receive emails from my favorite stores. They notify me of sales & send coupons. And before I head to the stores, I check online for more coupons. I also have a coupon app on my iPhone called Coupon Sherpa. It's awesome. And don't forget to "Like" your favorite brands on facebook! I got a free pair of jeans from The Gap during one of their facebook promotions!
  • Kid's Clothing:     Same thing goes for kid's clothing--sign up for emails to get store coupons! I also shop local kid's consignment sales to find great deals.  Also, if you're a mom, check out Zulily. They have tons of cute stuff for kids & stylish clothes for moms up to 90% off! There's something new every day!
  • Movies:  Paying for movies is so overrated. That's why I found a ton of free Redbox codes!
I Saved on Everyday Things...

  • Groceries:  Last, but not least, saving on food, personal care products, cleaning supplies, etc. I have saved literally HUNDREDS of dollars by couponing!  I subscribe to updates from a various couponing sites--then I know about all the best sales and deals and where I can get tons of stuff for FREE{And I pass on the best savings to my readers!} So if you're not already, follow coupon bomb to get the inside scoop on the latest couponing deals-- subscribe to email updates, like us on facebook, join through Google Friend Connect, or follow on twitter!  
Let's see... that's about $4,000/year saved --not including Groceries!!! How have you saved money? Share your saving strategies!

coupon bomb